Monday, February 23, 2009

Wus Sup Wid Dat?

Now that I have gotten away from that horrible Star Cable an have gone back to Aster my life is much fuller. The service is 100% better, I don't have to suffer with some idiot technician changing one of my American channels to a Dominican sporting event and I even have good service when it rains. Amazing. The only thing I lost was the Fox channel, but I now have FoxNews, CNN and 4 or 5 movies channels that I didn't have previously. In addition I now get VH1.
Hey America:
What happened to the English Language? How does a channel like this exist? Are there that many dummies out there? Are there that many brain dead people that require a never ending diet of reality shows based on competitions between empty headed big breasted, tight abbed people? Several cable companies ago we had VH1 and Massiel and I would watch I Love New York. We laughed at the stupidity of the premise. New York, I have no clue as to her real name, was one of the losers of another reality show, where she tried to win the love of Flavor Flav. If you have ever seen Flavor Flav you might wonder, as I did, why anyone would want the love of one of the visibly dumbest people of all time. Other than his money, I failed to see a single redeeming quality. And at be honest, I don't think he could have enough money to make it worth anyone's efforts. I mean, the guy spoke in gibberish. A long time ago I remember taking a train from Manhattan to Mt. Vernon, where I lived, with a friend, Jon Millman. I remember we sat there for the entire 1/2 hour ride inventing words and expressions. Flavor Flav must been listening in. He uses a lot of our words when he is speaking. Wait a minute!! What kind of name is Flavor Flav?
That was all that we ever watched on that channel and we did so only to laugh at the participants. Now, VH1 has a never ending stream of these reality shows featuring bald, formerly famous (?) rock stars ( I never heard of him), rejects from other reality shows who never learned to speak their native tongue, and other shows that look so bad that I can't even watch to determine what they are about.

What about the commercials that accompany this quality programming? I recently saw an ad for FlirtyGirlFit. This DVD claims to be a body makeover system that uses sexy dance and exotic dance moves in an excercise video to help you get in shape. As a former frequenter of strip clubs in Dallas, I must tell you that as I watched the start of the commercial and saw the models dancing to empty chairs I thought to myself, "What, no pole? " and sure enough a few seconds later they include the offer of a pole . (Pole installation guide can be found at https:// www.flirtygirlfit.com/installation/FlirtyGirlFitness_PoleInstallationGuide.pdf). This should be called "For Strippers Only" I mean this is clearly a how to course in strip dancing, assuming that you start off scantily clad. I found it hard to believe, but the online reviews for this exercise workout are all raves.

I have always had a fascination with commercials. As I mentioned before, I only watched the Super Bowl to see the commercials. There are never too many bad commercials for me. One of my current favorites is for Shamwow. I can really see the need for a shamois cloth to absorb water from spills. I spill a lot of water, oh, maybe 20 or 30 times a day so these seem like a good invention. Of course if I order now they will double my order so that I can start to spill things 40 or 50 times a day. How did I ever exist without a Snuggie? Oh that's right, here I need two sheets on a cold night. How did you ever exist without one? I can't imagine?
Of course sometimes I get to see a really clever commercial like the ad for the new Blackberry that folds in half. No more "butt dialing" Genius.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're being a bit hard on the "empty headed big breasted" element. Some of my best friends are empty headed and big breasted.

    - The Sunshine King

    ReplyDelete