Friday, February 6, 2009

Best Dog Ever


I can't imagine what it must be like to be without any affection. I was brought up in a loving family and have always felt that I was loved. I know that my daughter loves me and I know that Massiel loves me as well.
I have been working in La Vega since last March, in a factory where myself and my two partners are producing bras. We are located in the La Vega Free Zone, an industrial park which contains about 20+ factories. When I started coming here I noticed immediately that the park was the home to a lot of dogs. In the DR dogs are loose on the street everywhere you go. I have never, in ten years, encountered an unfriendly or angry dog. The dogs are always hungry and the hot weather saps their strength. It is really unusual to hear a stray dog barking, they are just too weak. There were a couple of dogs that hung out at the entrance to the factory, usually in the loading dock. Two of them were identical in coloring although one was kind of chubby and the other thin. I named the chubby one Smiley because of the way she bared her teeth when she was happy. Not a snarl, more like a smile. It wasn't long before I started bringing food for these two dogs. Smiley always came right up to me as I brought out the food. The other dog, who I named Lady, due to her very lady like restraint, was much more reserved. It got to the point where Smiley recognized the sound of my car door and when she heard it she came running to greet me almost every morning. Every time I went food shopping I made sure to buy cans of dog food to take care of my "girls". Smiley was really the best part of every day at the factory. I knew that when I went outside, if she was around, she would start kind of jumping around for joy, and always, as I came closer she would start thumping her tail, really fast. At first I thought she was happy that she was going to get some food. With time I came to believe that she was not showing affection for the food, but rather, because I was probably the first person in her life ( I would guess she was about 4 or 5 years old) to show her any affection, she was excited to receive some loving- When I would go outside she would roll over so that I could rub her. She would stay on her back forever, while I rubbed her belly, her head her nose, anything. I made a video on my Blackberry and posted it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bee5bb1QXI

It's not great quality and for some reason it plays on You Tube slower than the actual recording, but it still gives you an idea of the affection she always showed.

It wasn't too long after I started going to La Vega that I realized that Smiley was pregnant. Then in July or August she disappeared for a couple of weeks. I was really worried. I was afraid that something had happened and then one day she reappeared. She was carrying one of her puppies in her mouth. It wasn't until she put it down that I realized that the puppy was dead. I think now that she thought that maybe I could fix it. With time, the baby was forgotten and we settled into a regular schedule. Food and clean water upon my arrival, 3 or 4 visits for rubbing and a snack as I was leaving. Always when I went out just to see her she immediatley rolled on her back. I really came to have strong feelings for her. I went so far as to discuss with Massiel the possibility of bringing Smiley home for Christmas Holiday. All the factories were going to close about the 12th of December and were going to reopen the first week of January. I was concerned that with no one around there would be no food. I realized, however, that with two cats already in the house, the idea of bringing a non house broken dog just didn't make sense.
The factory closed for holiday and Cung Weng, one of my partners, came to the factory to take care of something. He called me that night to tell me that he found Smiley dog dead in front of our factory. She, as well as all the other dogs living in the free zone had been poisoned. Apparently some motherfucker was bothered by these dogs roaming around, bothering nobody, and decided to kill them all. I realized a couple of days later that Smiley probably came to the factory while she was dying in the hope, just as I then realized she had with her puppy, that I could fix her. Sadly, I wasn't there.

No comments:

Post a Comment