Sunday, February 15, 2009

What A Putz!!!

I have very few firsts to my name. In fact, as I started writing this entry I was unable to think of anything that I did first. Now, I have put that lack behind me. Read the title again. That's the first sports article using that title.
Since I moved to the DR my interest in sports has been reduced to almost zero. I was a Mets, Jets, Knicks, and Ranger fan for most of my adult life. Quitting basketball happened first. I was a huge Knick fan back in the days of Bradley, Reed, Monroe, Debusschere. At some point basketball became a game of only tall people. If you wanted to be a basketball player you had to be pituitarily challenged. Only tall people played the game. You can say, "Hey what about Mugsy Boggs", or some other under 6' player. OK, that's one. I was originally a Dodger fan and can still remember leaving the Polo Grounds in tears after watching the Dodgers lose. When they left for L. A. I followed them for a while and when the Mets came into existence I switched back to a NY team. Rooting for the Yankees was always out of the question. I was originally a New York Football Giant fan. Thanks to Bob Aschkenasy who got us with the help of someone his father knew in the pressbox, I was at what is supposedly the best championship game ever between the Giants and the Colts. I took home a broken piece of one of the benches. It was a real wooden bench, dark green if I remember correctly. Not a modern, heated, contoured plastic sofa. A bench. At the point at which I realized that the Mara family, the owners of the team, had no interest in doing anything that cost money to improve the team (which was after Fran Tarkenton left) I quit them. Their stadium was alway sold out with a huge waiting list. There was no cable and the home games were always unavailable within 90 miles of Yankee Stadium and the Maras were unwilling to spend any money to improve the team since there no extra income to be earned for being good, other than the occasional playoff game. At some point I became a Jet fan. I never switched away from the New York Rangers, but they just don't show a lot of hockey in the DR, and slowly I lost interest as I lost track of the team. For me, team sports have become unwatchable. Their is no team in team sports. They should change the name to me sports.
My favorite play in all of sports has become the fair catch in football. It is the only play in sports that is never followed by chest thumping, finger pointing, taunting or excessive celebration. The only play in all of sports. I forget who said it, possibly The Sports Guy on ESPN page 2, but its a fact.
Sadly, I don't watch sports regularly anymore and when I do it is usually to see something other than the game. I watched this year's Super Bowl mainly to watch the commercials. I happened to see a great game. I also saw Santonio Holmes almost blow the game on the play before his heroic catch. He was celebrating the previous catch so much that his quarterback ( I refuse to look up the correct spelling of one more name) could not call the timeout that he wanted to take.
What does this have to do with being first? I saw a while ago that the Mets have acquired a relief pitcher by the name of JJ Putz. How long do you think it will be before he blows a save and either The Daily News or The New York Post steals my headline?

No comments:

Post a Comment