Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Jimmy Legs Convention

During many episodes of "Seinfeld" reference is made to something called "The Jimmy Legs". I think that Kramer was the first to mention it in an episode. He was referring to the condition that some people have that causes their legs to twitch, most notably in the bed. I am sure that most people have been sitting somewhere when suddenly they became aware of the floor shaking. This is a version of the Jimmy Legs. This is someone forcing their leg to bounce up and down voluntarily. This is a habit. I believe it is something that people who are not really capable of thinking do in order to occupy their minds. They have to concentrate to do it and it alleviates the need to think.
When I first got sick a couple of weeks ago I went to see my doctor and had 7 people waiting ahead of me. Doctors here don't work by appointment as they do in most countries. That is because Dominicans have no respect for each other and never show up anywhere on time, least of all at a doctors office. During my years working here I have been invited to, or planned, many meetings. I am the originator of the expression, "What time will the 4:00 P.M meeting start?" There's a valid reason behind the question. I recently was invited, with my wife, to dinner. We were supposed to meet at 7:00. My friend and his wife were there waiting when we showed up at 6:50. The next person showed up at 8:15 and the last couple showed up at 8:30, and thought nothing of it.
Anyway, I was waiting for the doctor. I was really sick. I was weak. I was dizzy. I was really in bad shape. A guy came and sat down next to me. He immediately started shaking his hands. At first I thought he had some sort of palsy. Then he stopped and relaxed for a couple of minutes. Then he started jiggling his legs. I was starting to get nauseous. The constant motion was killing me. I moved so that he was out of my view. Unfortunately I moved opposite another guy who had the Jimmy Legs. I sat there a little while and again started to feel that I was going to puke. I moved again. I know its hard to believe but I was now face to face with a Jimmy Legs woman. That was it. I couldn't take it any more. I told the Doctor's receptionist that in case she couldn't find me I would be around the corner, out of her sight, sitting where there was no one else. I have come to realize, since that day that The Jimmy Legs is a common malady here. I am sure it is an alternative to thinking. It seems to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment