Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Very Important, Reverent Day


Today, August 16th is a very important holiday in the Dominican Republic. It is called Restoration Day. On this day in 1863 Dominicans started a war of independence against the Spanish colonial army. It is also the anniversary of my marriage to Michele's mother, Bonnie. I prefer to remember it as the day that both Babe Ruth and Elvis Presley died. It's less painful that way.

In the DR all the patriotic citizens hang their flags where everyone can see them, with pride. My favorite this year is the way my neighbor decided to hang her flag and her laundry together. That's her underwear on the right hand side behind her cactus plant. The rest of the clothes are hanging behind the flag and don't show up well in the photo. Trust me, they're there.


No comments:

Post a Comment