Saturday, April 17, 2010

Dragonflies Have 4 Wings

From the good deed of the week Department:

I never really got a close look at dragonfly. Sure I see them all the time on my ride to Dajabon, and I have seen thousands of them in my life, but I never really saw one kind of sitting around. They are always so busy moving. In the factory, on Wednesday, a dragonfly was just kind of sitting on the side of a sewing machine. The operator apparently didn't want to kill it so she just kind of left it there. I looked carefully at it, and for the first time I realized that a dragonfly has four wings, two on each side. Closer study revealed that the two wings on one side seemed to have made contact with a spider web, or some dust and dirt that seemed to join them together. The dragonfly was trying to take off from the machine but the two joined wings were not working. I took out my Swiss Army Knife and opened the scissor. I thought that if I could cut the wings apart that maybe they would work. I carefully cut them apart and the dragonfly flew away. I was so proud. I felt like Dr. Kildare.

No comments:

Post a Comment