Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Best Hotel In The City

During the week I stay at a hotel, Raydan, in Dajabon. It is about 7 minutes from the Haitian Free Zone. It is the best hotel in town. There is one a couple of blocks before the Raydan. It is called The Hotel Mirash. I'm sorry, but I am not staying in a hotel called My Rash. Uh, uh, not gonna happen. So it's the Raydan for me. When I checked in on Monday I inquired as to the rate and was told that it was exactly double what I had been told it would be. They explained that it was so costly because I had requested a refridgerator, and the room had air conditioning. If I eliminated those to things the price would be cut in half. Now I can live without the fridge, but there is no way that sleeping is possible in the kind of heat they have in Haiti, even though the room has a ceiling fan. I haggled as best I could, but the full fee for the air conditioning was charged. Only one problem. The AC didn't work.

Tuesday morning I flushed the toilet after using it, and I heard something make a loud noise inside the water tank. Two seconds later, water started to spill out from all sides of the tank. I watched in awe. As the bathroom floor started to fill with water I realized that I had to do something. I lifted the top off the tank and the water started to shoot up so high that it almost was hitting the ceiling. Luckily,
I thought to shut the water off using the valve in the wall. It was really a miracle that I thought of it. What had happened was that where the float is connected to the water source had come apart. What a geiser.

1 comment:

  1. Joel, I had to change phones again, please call me as I do not
    have your number

    Best regards

    Gerald

    ReplyDelete