Monday, January 4, 2010

First Time


This has been a 4 1/2 day holiday for Massiel. She decided, along with her grandmother, that this would be a great time to make a day trip to the beach. Plans were made to go yesterday, Sunday. In addition to Massiel's grandmother we took her aunt, her aunt's daughter, her aunt's boyfriend and his two sons. Including Massiel and I, eight in all. We had a great time even though the best thing I can say about the weather is that it didn't rain while we were at the beach (about 3 hours). It rained on the way to and on the way back from the beach. It was overcast the whole time we were there. I checked the Weather Channel forecast and the prediction was for rain the whole day. When I saw this, I took off my bathing suit, meaning to take it with me, but I forgot it. Rita, Massiel's grandmother is one of my favorite people. This Saint of a woman, not only raised Massiel, but when I met her, 5 years ago, she was raising 3 more children of one of her daughters. She still has two of them (the slaves that Massiel brings over every so often). They are getting a terrific upbringing, as did Massiel. I discovered that this woman (64 years old) had never been to the beach in her life. This was her first time. Of course, everyone with a bathing suit went in the water. I took this picture of Rita, Massiel, and her aunt sharing Rita's first time in the water. That's her on the right.

P.S. The only disconcerting thing is that when Americans talk about going in the water they talk about swimming in the water. Dominicans use the word baƱar, which means to bathe. Hmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment