Tuesday, October 27, 2009

World's Foremost Authority

My ex-wife loves to take every opportunity to try to show me how much she knows. She reminds me of a comic by the name of Dr. Irwin Corey. He was well known 40 years ago. I got to know him personally back in the mid 60's when I worked with him at the Playboy Club. He was billed as the World's Foremost Authority and his entire act was based on his way of double talking, and the fact that every definitive understandable statement he made was wrong. He was a very funny guy, a bit of a dirty old man when it came to the Bunnies, but very funny. (When I started to write this entry, I checked out YouTube to see if they had any old videos and I discovered that he is still working and he is 94 years old.)
On Friday night, my daughter asked that I go to dinner with her, Michael (her fiance) and her mother. I was not anxious to spend any more time with Bonnie than was absolutely necessary, but my daughter asked so I acquiesced. We went to a sushi restaurant which used to be called Fujiyama Mama. Michele and I ate there usually about twice a week. I love sushi and since Bonnie didn't like sushi I loved to go there. It was like the vacations that Michele and I used to take during her Christmas vacation. We always went skiing. Bonnie hated cold weather. Bonnie now eats sushi and this is the neighborhood cool Japanese restaurant. Some of her drinking friends were in there and sent champagne to the table which was very nice. I don't really drink anymore, so I just took a sip to be polite.
The waiter came over to take the drink order and while he was there Michael asked for an order of Etamomi, or something that sounded like that, to be brought to the table right away to snack on. (That's a dangling preposition, I know, but I would rather write this sentence than go back and correct it.) Bonnie said to make it two orders. I asked what they were ordering and Bonnie was like, "Don't you know? It's pea pods". The waiter said, "No Ma'am, they are soy beans". Made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment