Sunday, October 11, 2009

Majung Fish

Massiel and I, along with her friend Yadira, drove over to Maimon today. Tomorrow is Massiel's birthday. Being a huge fan of birthdays, I felt badly that I am forced to go to Haiti tomorrow morning. I will be spending the whole week there. It is sort of an audition for a job, which I need. Maimon is on the way to Puerto Plata and it is known as a town full of roadside stands that sell very fresh fish, usually fried. It's really great food. When I asked Massiel what we could do to celebrate her birthday today, this was her idea. The place that I always go to (I should mention that I have probably eaten in Maimon 5 times in ten years) is called Jhoan's. Today when we got there at 3 o'clock and it was jammed. We had to wait about 20 minutes for a table and when we finally got one it took a while for them to clean it. When everything was ready and the waitress came over to take our order I ordered my favorite, which is Mero. Massiel in her truly discerning manner told the waitress, " Just bring me something big. Any type of fish, just make it big". I told Massiel that I hoped that they brought her this "new" fish that has become popular. She asked what kind and I told her it was the Majung fish, majung being the word for big turd in Spanish. I described it as being a long brown fish with wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment